Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Expand Linux Partition.


I started off using Linux as a hobby and eventually fell in love with it over the due course of time. Now my Linux partition has solution to all my computing problems. But, when i started, i wasn't sure if i would be using Linux full-time. So, i allotted the resources which were just enough to get my system running, i.e. just 5 GB of hard disk space to my Ubuntu's "/" partition(root partition). Recently, i realized that i was totally out of space on my root partition and needed to expand it. The advice from friends and Google was to "Format and re-install with new partition scheme". But that meant, me loosing all my installed softwares and their settings that i have used during past year and a half. Also, the Ego of a Computer Engineer was not allowing me to simply format the system. My efforts paid off and I was able to successfully expand the size of partition.


For demo, i expanded the size of my Ubuntu 8.10(Ubuntu B) after deleting a different version of Ubuntu (Ubuntu N) that i had once installed for testing purposes. Here is the tutorial showing how to safely Expand your Linux partition.

No comments:

Post a Comment